Asuswrt is the router firmware developped by Asus, and which they use on all their recent models.
Asuswrt-Merlin (this project) is a customized version that I am developping, and includes various improvement and fixes over the original Asuswrt.
Asuswrt-merlin is available for the following routers:
(note: the U, R and W variants are all supported, as they are the exact same hardware and firmware, only different marketing SKUs or different case color)
Notable features (over the original firmware):
- Based on the 188.8.131.52.376_2044 source release from Asus
- Various bugfixes (like the crash on VPN/NAT Loopback access of LAN devices)
- Some components were updated to their latest versions, for improved stability and security
- Persistent JFFS partition
- User scripts that run on specific events
- Cron jobs
- Customized config files for router services
- LED control - put your Dark Knight in Stealth Mode by turning off all LEDs
- Entware easy setup script (a modern alternative to Optware)
- Optionally use shorter share names (folder name only)
- Disk spindown after user-configurable inactivity timeout
- NFS Exporting of USB drives
- Better compatibility with 3TB+ and Advanced Format HDDs
- Act as a Master Browser
- Act as a WINS server
- Allows tweaking TCP/UDP connection tracking timeouts
- CIFS client support (for mounting remote SMB share on the router)
- Layer7 iptables matching
- User-defined options for WAN DHCP queries (required by some ISPs)
- Improved NAT loopback (based on code from phuzi0n from the DD-WRT forums)
- Advanced OpenVPN client and server, based on code originally written by Keith Moyer for Tomato and reused with his permission. (RT-N66U, RT-AC66U, RT-AC56U, RT-AC68U)
- Netfilter ipset module, for efficient blacklist implementation
- Site survey page (under Wireless)
- Configurable min/max UPNP ports
- IPSec kernel support
- DNS-based Filtering, can be applied globally or per client
A few features that first debuted in Asuswrt-Merlin have since been integrated/enabled in the official firmware:
- 64K NVRAM (RT-N66U)
- Turning WPS button into a radio on/off toggle
- Clicking on the MAC address of an unidentified client will do a lookup in the OUI database.
- WakeOnLan web interface (with user-entered preset targets)
- Display active/tracked network connections
- VPN Status page
- DualWAN and Repeater mode (while it was still under development by Asus)
- Basic OpenVPN (client and server) support
- Configurable IPv6 firewall
The primary goal of this custom firmware is to tweak, fix bugs, and enhance the original Asus firmware. It is NOT meant to become a feature-ladden alternative - for that look at existing solutions, such as Tomato or DD-WRT, both offering a wealth of additional features.
To install, just flash this like a regular firmware update. If coming from a different version, it's often best to reset to default settings after flashing this custom build.
Make sure you read the included README for instructions regarding these additional features.
Source code: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.